A new champions league coming to football?

Will The European Super League, which has been talked about for a long time, become a new champions league with the participation of 12 leading clubs of the continent?

The European soccer league was planing to be a new league which has includes biggest football teams in Europe.ESL teams were planning to play mid-week games in their own country. Their purpose was to leave weekends available to participate in their own country leagues. ECL's plan was to launch a tournament with 20 clubs between August and May, without any empty matches. In addition, they were planning to earn a much higher television income. Florentino Perez  was the founder of this league.

Florentino Pérez on European Super League: "We are doing this to save football"


What teams have signed up to the European Super League?

The clubs were; Arsenal, AC Milan, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham

Why European Super League?

The idea behind forming the Super League was to create a sure-shot big-money competition that would have 15 permanent teams and five additional qualifiers based on their performances in the previous domestic season.

(https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/european-super-league-florentino-perez-ed-woodward-john-henry-andrea-agnelli-7284438/)

Is This about money?

Yes. According to their own estimates, each founding member stands to gain around $400 million merely to establish “a secure financial foundation,” four times more than Bayern Munich earned for winning the Champions League last season.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/sports/soccer/super-league-explainer.html

Announcement From Uefa

"The clubs involved will be banned from participating in any other national, continental or international organisation." UEFA has stated that they will not even be allowed to play for this national team.

What Was The Reaction Of Leagues and Ministers?

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson described that organization as "very harmful to football" in a statement.

French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed the decision of French clubs not to join this organization, which "threatens the principle of unity and sporting merit in sports".

Bundesliga teams also plan to oppose this organization, because in the German football model investors are prevented from owning more than 49 percent of the clubs' shares.

Video Link :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk3VqsqeA9c

Now I would like to ask to you What do you think Should the European super league continue or close?

By:Bertan Levi 

References 

(https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/european-super-league-florentino-perez-ed-woodward-john-henry-andrea-agnelli-7284438/)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/sports/soccer/super-league-explainer.html

https://en.as.com/en/2021/04/20/soccer/1618884351_871694.html

https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2021/4/20/fifas-infantino-super-league-clubs-will-pay-the-consequences







Comments

  1. When I woke up and read this news, I was devastated. It was big news and I talked about it with friends for days and the general consensus was that this had nothing to do with football anymore. Of course it's nice to see big clubs with superstars from all over the world play against each other, but not the same matches over and over again, right? Isn't that the nice thing about the Champions League that there are different matches every year and the draw is very exciting? Wouldn't it be fantastic if a lesser-known team with a lower budget also wins against a top club sometimes? I think so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have clearly said that the Super League is all about money and earning as much as possible. The fact that it is so exclusive for 15+5 teams makes it very unfair and for those two reasons I would not support this League. I think there are other means to reach higher revenues than creating such organisations. Let's remember that football is not only about money but about bringing people together and the values it may provide us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you ment, but we have to open the eyes and realize that the big clubs are more interested by the fans. From my point of view, I prefer to have a legue with the best clubs in football compiting in a high level and watch important matches every single week. It would be greatful to have a big match every week. People will be more engaged/motivated and then in terms of money this league would generate more money than now and this clubs could afford the best players teh best stadiums in order to compete in a high position.

      Delete
  3. I think this is really a crazy idea. They claim to be the "Super League", but there are teams in there who perform anything but super in the past 10 years. For example Arsenal and AC Milan are so far away from the level of the real super clubs, like Bayern Munchen and Manchester City. You can see in everything that this competition is all about money and I think it's awful. Football should be all about the fans, they carry the club. Nobody wants to travel abroad every week to visit an away game of their favourite team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alejandro Viladomiu

    I think is a really nice idea because at the end the top 10 clubs in Europe are the ones spending more money and making the money in the world. At the end, it could save the sport of¡r destroy it because all the small teams will disappear due the financial problems

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joaquim Passi
    In my opinion it is a rather hasty and difficult idea where it would not fully work. There are teams within this competition where they don't have a good enough level to be considered among the best. I also think that this whole project was made with the idea of generating and generating more economic income, where because of this all the magic of football could be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the creation of the European Super League was very selfish from the founder and all the teams that decided to join it. As u mentioned, they did it for the money they could get from being part of the league. Nowadays sports have become a business as we have seen but I think the people who only look at it as business are the organizations, clubs and players. When it comes to fans it is totally different, it is something that they enjoy watching or doing. So personally, me as a fan of football when I heard the news about this league I was really confused and also disappointed because I never thought that clubs would prioritize income more than the sport and so publicly as they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree mor ewith your opinion, I believe the ESL would mean the slow destruction of football as we know it. I would rather prefer for every league to apply the Bundesliga business model, as the fans are the ultimate reason football is as succesfull as it is. People like Florentino Perez just want to get as rich as they can, and dont really care about maintaining the tradition of the game, which is what I believe makes it so special.

      Delete
  7. Although I must admit as someone who goes to the gym that people who use doping to get bigger and stronger I don't like it, but if people do it and like it and want to make it a separate competition they can do whatever they want. That said, I don't consider doping safe for this or any practice.

    Great article and bravo!
    Francesc Guàrdia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watching a game every week where two major European clubs face each other? Of course, but at what cost?
    We often forget that soccer has been in constant evolution for over 100 years, just look at the great clubs of today, which we all admire and respect, they were not there from the beginning, but were built through the HISTORY of many players, managers, fans and characters around the club.
    Soccer belongs to everyone, and I don't think that denying some of them this opportunity is a good thing for the sport.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Manchester United or the dictatorship of short-term results

Will Esport be the first big business industry in the sport world ?